An ice cream cake in the freezer at a Portland area Dairy Queen.
Sir? What are you doing? Can I help you with that?
No Sir, I ‘m afraid I can’t let you take the top off unless you are going to buy it.
I’m going to have to ask you to leave, Sir.
I’ve been told this commercial airs on TV but so far I haven’t seen it. Donny sent me a phone cam capture, and Simon Woodstock found it on YouTube. Ray Barbee in a Just for Men commercial after the jump.
Salon.com has an article on why ESPN’s efforts birng the X Games to a worldwide audience aren’t as successful as they’d like. Are the unsuccessful? I’m not sure. Are you paying attention? That’s the main part of the article.
Essentially, what ESPN seems to miss, is that that the statement “I am a skateboarder” is a far different one than “I am a basketball player”.
The author Matt Reevy get’s it. There’s are a couple good quotes in there (like this post title) that sum it up pretty well. I guess my mission here at S&A is finished.
Denver the Last Dinosaur is possibly one of the best bad cartoon relics out there. Basically, a dinosaur egg hatches, and hangs out with kids skateboarding, riding BMX and sort of communicating in a more subdued Scooby Doo style. The animation is horrible, I swear it approaches 5 frames a second. The voiceover is what makes this cartoon enjoyable/eardrum piercing. The character actors are awful. It’s like listening to somebody do a really bad impersonation Jeff Spicoli, for 20 minutes… The series started in 1988 and ran for two years, so that was right at the tail end of the California craze. There’s an episode called Venice Beach Blast where part of the gang gets hassled for skating on the bike path. The authority figure (Is he a cop or a security guard? He looks like a Forest Ranger.) explains that the community got the signatures together to get skating banned and the bike path built. Now you think this would would turn into a civics lesson that ends with a skateboard park being built, but it doesn’t. The skaters in the crew turn against their biking brothers and go renegade. There’s a lot of whining (almost life real life), radical moves and slams. The whole thing wraps up in about 30 seconds with an explanation of some action that happened off camera. Basically, the city lets the kids skate in part of an unused parking lot, and everyone is happy. It’s massively weak, but the script and character actors make it entertaining, like a train wreck. Video, promotional stills and sarcasm after the jump.
- Thanks to Seth Levy for the tip.
Jurassic Skate Park is an illustration by Dan Woodger. There’s more to it than immediately hits the eye. Check out a larger version and details on Dan’s site.
Apparently, the longboard stroller, although not actually in production yet, is also not meant to be a joke. In some shots you can see what might be a braking device or two, possibly a sponge. Test dummies are a nice touch. This is a joke. Is this a joke? Quinny is a real company.
- Thanks to Matthijs for the tip.
This crazy thing doesn’t need much explanation. It’s a bootleg of a Powell Peralta Mike Mcgill ‘Skull and Snake’ with snakeskin background from 1986 or 1987 and it even has wheel wells, where the original one (seen on right) doesn’t. The original artist is of course VCJ and I guess you could say that the counterfeiter made a pretty nice ‘interpretation’ of VCJ’s work, although the ‘skating fox with slippers’ on the topside has nothing to do with the ripper or any of the Powell graphics. For sale on Ebay. Thanks to Sara Raso for the pics.
I think these books are supposed to teach traffic safety, but in fact they inspire kids to pretend to run into the obstacles. In this case, a skateboarding elephant. Then there’s the gratuitous electronic noise designed to stimulate young minds and make parents want to jam a screwdriver into the speaker. (Thanks for that helpful advice Shawn F. ) Now that these pictures are taken I can finally make a run to Good Will after 5 years of sitting on this thing. Yes, this post title is my attempt to help David Bowie free associate some new lyrics.
- spurr : Holy crap , that was 25 years ago.
- spurr : I rode an 8 wheeler on Rick mailers garage halfpipe it turned like ,well an 8 wheeler and if you bailed it became a 20...
- K.C. : It's fun to mess around with different skateboard set ups. I think this is a parody of the original Loni Toft 8 wheeler from the 1970's...
- Seth : I get the point of an 8-wheeler (each set of trucks turns a different direction) but what is the point of 16? There are two...
- Actual Fitz : I'll see your kickturn and raise you a scratch grind.
- skaterdave : Kickturn on lock!
- Actual Fitz : Witholding judgement pending a session. Never seen Evergreen do anything but great work, and the layout looks roomy and fast. Each their own...
- Bozo Texino : Needing a like button here...
- Bozo Texino : Critical thinking is not a crime.
- talentlessquitter : 200 miles away, but still...
- Mr Sauce : If you dont like the sauce then go to a different BBQ.
- Bozo Texino : It's acceptable because your art isn't amazing just because you made it, and to belive so is arrogant. Learn to accept some criticism--it improves your...
- Other Grover : NAH GROVER
- Other Grover : Very lame park. Bad flow and all around shit park. Evergreen ya blew it with this one. My opinion, my spew, suck it shit holes
- Jerry Dammers : I won't comment, on a site like this. All the girls on Friday T&A are sluts, and Neil's beer tastes just like piss.
- Peter Parker : Paralyze this: How are the lil bastards ever gonna get it sorted if they're being taught that a "U" shaped ramp is a half-pipe...
- freezine : When the unconventional host conventions!
- Chris J : I have one in Nottingham UK I'm looking to sell. Its in good condition and i'm planning sell on ebay. I'll stick the link on...
- kilwag : One of my favorites. Didn't see this coming. Modern coping trends and Sizing your death box... love it.
- Craig : Hey. Please have Oldfartsk8r contact me. I want to see if he has a better scan than I do of the Solid Surf flier. Urgent....
- Bevilacqua : cave canem. Is it a BDS ?
- Bevilacqua : hilarious - but I wouldn't recommend it for immature readers.
- David ODK : Found it in Oostduinkerke.
- David ODK : Haha! Thanks for the tip, but it's just grass ...
- MC : Cool diagram, he forgot "photoshop out stray pubic hairs."
- talentlessquitter : "...in an old toy store in Belgium..." WHAT!?! Haha, too bad I didn't score this one. Great looking board.
- spurr : I enjoy kilwags barbecue ,neils beer is always cold and mcs burgers are tasty and free . I thank you for sharing your...
- houseofneil : I agree MC. here's the way I like to look at it. Kilwag has organized a free bbq. MC and I provide some of the...
- SimonWoodstock : Spotters fee $50
- MR. X : Awesome!
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business