Evergreen Skateparks is making progress on the Happy Valley skate spot. It looks like it has a couple interesting features already. They are splitting the construction updates between Facebook and their official site.
The Kings Highway DIY project in St Louis is scheduled to be torn down within a year as the 76 year old bridge overhead is being demolished. KHVT (Kingshighway Vigilante Transitions 501c3) organizers are working with the city to fundraise and sanction the first public free skatepark in the city.
To ensure that the skateboarders of St. Louis will still have a place to skate, KHVT must act quickly. We are working closely with St. Louis City’s Land Re-utilization Authority (LRA) to find small, unused city owned properties to be transformed into free, public “skate gardens.”
As of now, KHVT is $33,000 short of the $50k they need to build this first spot. And that’s where the Kickstarter campaign comes in.
Evergreen Skateparks recently broke ground on a 4500 square foot skatepark in Happy Valley, Oregon. I can’t find a design for this anywhere, and most of the pictures that turn up in a Google Image search are old concepts attributed to Newline that appeared here on S&A back in 2009. Newline still has revised plans on their website. What happened is anyone’s guess, but Oregonians are happy to keep it local.
Bradenton, Florida has a relatively new Team Pain skatepark on the riverwalk. It’s mostly waist high or under, with the exception of a 10ft or so vert wall on one end of the park and a large bowl on the opposite. The park is long and narrow, dissected in the middle by an overhead highway bridge that crosses the river. As with Louisville, KY, it’s more or less across the street from the hospital. I’m not sure if they do that on purpose or not. It’s on a stretch of land that would otherwise most likely be vacant, which means plenty of room for expansion! The non-skating locals I spoke with are very pleased with it, and consider it a destination worth hanging out at just to watch and enjoy the location. More photos and a video skate through after the jump.
Phase one of Gold Hill, Oregon’s new skatepark in memory of Tom Fish, has been completed. It’s a Dreamland project. It looks fully rideable now, but of course the grand opening is set for April 2nd.
[Source: ABC KDRV ]
- Thanks to Mike Estes for the photos.
About a million years ago (10 or so, actually) I did a write up of concrete skateparks in the greater Chicagoland area for a pre-blog print issue of S&A. It was pretty dismal, especially coming from a Northwest perspective. In most cases the design or finish were flawed, often times both. Most spots weren’t built by actual skatepark builders. Some have expansion joints where the transition meets the flat, filled with whatever soft goo they use on sidewalks. Some even have brushed cement. That’s not to say you couldn’t have fun in those parks, because you are skateboarding after all. Since that time, Chicago got an adequate, professional, but not especially exciting park on Wilson, plus a prefab junker on Logan, and think some other satellite parks in the burbs, but again, nothing to write home about. Who knows, (I don’t) maybe there are a other new parks in the area that I don’t know about. Admittedly, I’m going on old information, although I did hit some more suburban spots in 2009. This new skatepark in Villa Park by Portland’s Evergreen Skateparks has a small-ish footprint, so it’s kind of hard to dazzle, but still it’s got to be a step forward for the state of Illinois. Hopefully this will open the door for other build/design projects in the area. Maybe not though, I heard Evergreen ran into some Union problems on the site, with picketing and what not. That’s Chicagoland for you. Big shoulders extend all the way to the burbs. We’re da Machine! Getting back to Evergreen, here’s another slick helicopter-dogcam edit from Robert Mcintosh. Bonus Effigies audio for “We’re da Machine” after the jump.
North Korea has it’s first skatepark, and boy does it look… fun? Apparently, red and blue tracksuits are mandatory. Enjoy the weird, depressing, and joyless “Wellness Center” video after the jump.
[Source: Good] - Thanks to Mac for the tip.
Roadside advertisement for a new skatepark in Lima, Peru, or technically San Borja? I’m not even gonna front on my south american geography. There’s not much out there about this park, and non of which I can actually read. I did find some photos at Radar Skate, and a few more at SkateparksPeru.com. Apparently Peru has 42 skateparks already, who knew? It’s scheduled to open this month. Maybe it’s open now. Who built it? Doctor Skatepark, the same guy behind that glow in the dark park in France.
[Photo: Seth Levy]
- Dion : ejmeb i rusx lxmwn f qhvl stgto a ahmb iwguk p itrx wzodp i kmab cugyp b zuzz upaze s dmfc jxavb x fzww mktsv...
- half pipe : I love skating and I am passionate about it. I use to buy latest skates. Good informative post btw.
- talentlessquitter : ...except in dutch it's with a 'j'. (That's what you get for trying to post smart comments in the wee hours of the night) Briljant, David!
- talentlessquitter : Bril(l)iant!
- kilwag : Is that an "Action Now" reference?
- Bozo Texino : No doubt! This one's stuck in my head. I love it.
- skaterdave : Isn't this sort of a *girl on horse jumping over rocks photo* moment for CW?
- skaterdave : It's all the "same" until you can't jump down stairs anymore because it hurts too much...
- Actual Fitz : That's what I'm saying, MC! Great comic!
- Jesus Sepulveda's Dear Old Mum : Just say no to specialization and standardization.
- ssk : Wars, drones, global warming, economic turmoil, rioting... and now THIS! Nobody ever listens to Nostradamus! You're ruining it CW! A thousand kids just hung up...
- Rich : Recursive as well.
- Betsy : I saw this great t-shirt at the Van's Pool party contest a couple of weeks ago: "Don't Be a Racist- Skate Everything" During that same weekend,...
- zeno01 : I keep some fabreeze in my car to spray my pads with. Should I write an article for the site?
- SimonWoodstock : gnar.
- Willis KImbel's Dear Old Mum : Willis, I'm so torn between being very impressed and very scared for you. Put on a helmet and call me! Mom
- spurr : Now ,when we say longboarding I assume we are talking about downhill . I could see the correlation between downhill and long term relationships ...
- conahan : Does huffing your pads count?
- wall eyed glue huffer : that makes a alot of sense, i dont personally know u, but viacom life seems annoying as fuck
- wall eyed glue huffer : christian Dior "farenheight" scent gives me a rabid pitbull reaction...
- BoBo : ^ what he said ^ Geeze that's sick
- wall eyed glue huffer : concrete wave is owned by tail tap/buddy carr, in the event u tried to buy something off them they charge ur account and give u...
- Billy Bones : *palm to face*
- kilwag : Redundant!
- MC : holy balls!
- K.C. : I wish it was the same board, it is close though. The Zeke didn't have cut outs and it had a wide square tail. I...
- Michael : Maybe the ones that have a surplus of money. I got rid of all of my old skate magazines(except for Concussion) when I moved to...
- orezona : This just proves that all skateboarders are sluts.
- Godsdj1 : I have the 1sst Megamouth tape in MP3s if you want it. email me and let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org
- SimonWoodstock : Ha! Didn't know Kilwag posted this. There was an impromptu vert wall contest that day and I was trying for backside wheelers but not even...
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business