To keep the discussion “What is Skate Rock?” alive, we now have some obscure vinyl from Sweden for you. At first I thought someone just put a late 70´s / early 80´s photo of a skateboarder on the front cover to gain a bit more attention.
This week’s Shot of the Week is a photo of Michael “Kalmar” Moschinius taken by Martin Willners in 1981 at Araby-rampen in Växjö, Sweden. A few words from Michael on the shot:
The competition in Växjö was part of the “1981 Coca-Cola Cup” which was kind of a swedish championship. It wasn’t a skatepark but a single “Hollywood-ramp” (about 13 foot wide, 13 high and with 10-15 foot of flat in the bottom). It was built for skaters by skaters in a residential area. We had very few sponsors (a local ski-skate-windsurf shop). This was the kind of terrain we had in Sweden these days. No bowls, no pools, no parks, no concrete!
We had very few older persons involved at this time and it was almost impossible to find anyone with proper knowledge of the sport who could be judges. Therefore we had to choose tricks from a printed list, write them down and give to judge and then preform them in the exact order during the run. Crazy, but better than nothing!
Did you know skateboarding was forbidden in almost all swedish citys during the late ’70s? If the cop came you better run as hell. But it was even worse in Norway: all import, manufacturing and sales was forbidden and it was even forbidden to own a skateboard!!
In the late 70′s and early 80′s Michael was a contemporary of Tony Magnusson, competing and sometimes beating him on the Swedish circuit. It’s not all in the past, Moschinius still skates.
Check out the Shot of the Week.
The Searc for the Miraculous is, believe it or not, a skate video. I’ve seen some of his work (Strongest of the Strange) a long time ago, and what I remember about it was just stoke, so I’m not sure what to expect from this hour long skate video. It’s showing at the Clinton Street Theater in Portland on December 2nd as a fundraiser for Brooklyn Street Skate Spot. If you want to know more about it, you can check out the official web site or watch a video of Pontus talking about it.
In the dark days leading up to the apocalypse of Skate and Annoy’s web meltdown I featured the Carvells video for L.A. Run. Well, of course that led me to do some further investigating on the internet, and by “investigating,” I obviously meant draining my Paypal account by having a record shipped from the U.K.. In the meantime, House of Neil uncovered a contemporary (at the time) cover of L.A. Run by the Swedish band Magnum Bonum. And yes, it’s in Swedish.
- zeno01 : I keep some fabreeze in my car to spray my pads with. Should I write an article for the site?
- SimonWoodstock : gnar.
- Willis KImbel's Dear Old Mum : Willis, I'm so torn between being very impressed and very scared for you. Put on a helmet and call me! Mom
- spurr : Now ,when we say longboarding I assume we are talking about downhill . I could see the correlation between downhill and long term relationships ...
- conahan : Does huffing your pads count?
- wall eyed glue huffer : that makes a alot of sense, i dont personally know u, but viacom life seems annoying as fuck
- wall eyed glue huffer : christian Dior "farenheight" scent gives me a rabid pitbull reaction...
- BoBo : ^ what he said ^ Geeze that's sick
- wall eyed glue huffer : concrete wave is owned by tail tap/buddy carr, in the event u tried to buy something off them they charge ur account and give u...
- Billy Bones : *palm to face*
- kilwag : Redundant!
- MC : holy balls!
- K.C. : I wish it was the same board, it is close though. The Zeke didn't have cut outs and it had a wide square tail. I...
- Michael : Maybe the ones that have a surplus of money. I got rid of all of my old skate magazines(except for Concussion) when I moved to...
- orezona : This just proves that all skateboarders are sluts.
- Godsdj1 : I have the 1sst Megamouth tape in MP3s if you want it. email me and let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org
- SimonWoodstock : Ha! Didn't know Kilwag posted this. There was an impromptu vert wall contest that day and I was trying for backside wheelers but not even...
- Caspa : It's "KIDS". "Damn, you knocked up yo"!
- wes : neat
- kilwag : KC - is it the one in this post? LINK? I'm dying to find one of these too.
- wall eyed glue huffer : pelt me w/ eggs if u want but how come he didnt get an mtv spot on that jackass crud, he was the life of...
- K.C. : I agree with Killwag. I'm still looking for the elusive 6 wheeled (1 truck up front and 2 trucks in the back) Sun California "Zeke"...
- Michael : I just go Bowl-ing indoors.
- Concretin Nik : And for fks sake, don't put your dick in crazy!
- brock75 : I want to see him 360 flip it.
- PIGCITY : Good to see Woodstock back again. Theres no advantage to any of Simons bizzare boards apart from a damn good photo and a laugh or...
- conahan : Nancy and Sluggo by Ernie Bushmiller
- Bevilacqua : in France this ugly young turk is called "Bicot" - who is his US conterpart ? His older sister is Suzy.
- conahan : I've been waiting to spot the aging Razor dudes at the skatepark.
- carvin marvin : wait 'til the scooter kids are 50, will one of them draw cartoons?
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business