Björn Holm of Finland made a surfboard out of recycled skateboards. It’s the shell only so it’s probably not as heavy as it looks. I cracked up after watching the video, it’s almost like a SNL Digital Short. Everything is so serious, and there’s all the ice, and all of the sudden it’s over and the poor guy hasn’t even gotten to ride it yet.
The California Surf Museum is having an opening for a skateboarding exhibit called “Clay to Urethane: 1965-1975″ that will coincide with a book signing with Ben Marcus, the author of SSkateboard, The Good, the Rad and the Gnarly. Some skate legends confirmed to attend so far: Logan brothers, Steve Cathey, Denis Shufeldt, Frank Nasworthy, Gregg Weaver, Chris Yandall, Dale Smith, Jim Goodrich, Eddie Katz, Buddy Carr, Pineapple Saladino, Larry Balma, and more.
Saturday, August 13th from 4-7 pm.
So maybe it wasn’t feasible to make the giant halfpipe shaped roof of the Museum of Surf actually skateable. There’s still the bowl, right? Surely that pool-like structure in the roof is a skateable tribute to the connection between the roots of skateboarding and surfing? Markus Suchanek recently visited it and found otherwise. Check out his photos after the jump. How is that this museum has no web site?
Given the nature of the birth of our sport, it’s no surprise that a Museum of Ocean and Surf might draw inspiration from forms that inspire skaters as well. Seriously, it’s got to be a coincidence that it actually looks like a half pipe. There’s also allegedly a pool of sorts (see middle righr and bottom) but ironically enough, none of the surface of this structure appears to be actually skateable. I mean, that would have been something. See the Museum of Ocean and Surf in
Biarritz, France by Steven Holl Architects in collaboration with Solange Fabião.
Cool title for this inspired surf instrumental by the band The Five out of Brisbane, Australia. Miseri Loves Company is from their 2010 ep titled ‘For Five Nights Only’. The video has schoolyard skateboard footage form the 70′s.
Sa Ka Roule has some cool pictures of what must be the French equivalent of a Hobie, Makaha, or G&S. There are some old ads, pictures of a vintage board with a possible crazy looking truck modification, and the inevitable nostalgia revival. Check it out.
This is an old decal, you know, the kind you put in water and slide it off onto the model or whatever. I found it on eBay, but there wasn’t any information on it other than “vintage”. I would have guessed 60′s but The name Aaron Loyd turned up a surfboard shaper who was in business in Pismo beach in the early 70′s. Whenever it was, it’s pretty obvious this came from a different time. I don’t think this would fly nowadays. Loyd Surf is now a father-son operation. I’ve got an email into them to see if that was the case, and maybe find out a little more.
- talentlessquitter : ...except in dutch it's with a 'j'. (That's what you get for trying to post smart comments in the wee hours of the night) Briljant, David!
- talentlessquitter : Bril(l)iant!
- kilwag : Is that an "Action Now" reference?
- Bozo Texino : No doubt! This one's stuck in my head. I love it.
- skaterdave : Isn't this sort of a *girl on horse jumping over rocks photo* moment for CW?
- skaterdave : It's all the "same" until you can't jump down stairs anymore because it hurts too much...
- Actual Fitz : That's what I'm saying, MC! Great comic!
- Jesus Sepulveda's Dear Old Mum : Just say no to specialization and standardization.
- ssk : Wars, drones, global warming, economic turmoil, rioting... and now THIS! Nobody ever listens to Nostradamus! You're ruining it CW! A thousand kids just hung up...
- Rich : Recursive as well.
- Betsy : I saw this great t-shirt at the Van's Pool party contest a couple of weeks ago: "Don't Be a Racist- Skate Everything" During that same weekend,...
- zeno01 : I keep some fabreeze in my car to spray my pads with. Should I write an article for the site?
- SimonWoodstock : gnar.
- Willis KImbel's Dear Old Mum : Willis, I'm so torn between being very impressed and very scared for you. Put on a helmet and call me! Mom
- spurr : Now ,when we say longboarding I assume we are talking about downhill . I could see the correlation between downhill and long term relationships ...
- conahan : Does huffing your pads count?
- wall eyed glue huffer : that makes a alot of sense, i dont personally know u, but viacom life seems annoying as fuck
- wall eyed glue huffer : christian Dior "farenheight" scent gives me a rabid pitbull reaction...
- BoBo : ^ what he said ^ Geeze that's sick
- wall eyed glue huffer : concrete wave is owned by tail tap/buddy carr, in the event u tried to buy something off them they charge ur account and give u...
- Billy Bones : *palm to face*
- kilwag : Redundant!
- MC : holy balls!
- K.C. : I wish it was the same board, it is close though. The Zeke didn't have cut outs and it had a wide square tail. I...
- Michael : Maybe the ones that have a surplus of money. I got rid of all of my old skate magazines(except for Concussion) when I moved to...
- orezona : This just proves that all skateboarders are sluts.
- Godsdj1 : I have the 1sst Megamouth tape in MP3s if you want it. email me and let me know! firstname.lastname@example.org
- SimonWoodstock : Ha! Didn't know Kilwag posted this. There was an impromptu vert wall contest that day and I was trying for backside wheelers but not even...
- Caspa : It's "KIDS". "Damn, you knocked up yo"!
- wes : neat
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business