Running a marathon on a treadmill is in reference to skating in a skatepark that mimics real world spots. 99% Invisible is Roman Mars’ radio show about design, distributed on Public Radio. Episode 71, In and Out of LOVE features the familiar theme of skateboarders reinterpreting their environment for their own needs. It’s made with the help of skaters for the non-skating public, but just as your attention starts to wander they get down to focusing on Love Park. You know the story, but listening to a well produced audio version makes it fresh again. A big part of it is the random asides, including audio of the original architect, Edmund Bacon. Definitely worth checking out. You can watch video footage of Edmund’s act of civil disobedience after the jump, but do yourself a favor and listen to In and Out of LOVE first.
2013 started off in the crapper for me. I’m just now emerging from a fog of strep throat that has had me laid up since New Year’s day. Here’s hoping your new year is better than the promise of a slick red curb covered in skate stoppers. Absurd Family Skate photo on Instagram. Hey! Get off my curb man!
Over a year ago MC drew a comic that mentioned the possibility of the backyard ledge spot. Domi Gammon had already built one in his… well, it’s his parent’s house and it looks like the front yard, actually. He built it so he’d have someplace to skate when he visited his parents. Looks super solid.
I went to Pacific City, Oregon towards the end of the summer. Remember summer? Fer sure dude. I had to get some radical sandboarding action in. On the way home through Tillamook I spotted these banks on a building that was a real estate agency, if my memory serves me correctly. Tillamook is a bit of a ghost town. At least it is at 8:00 on a Sunday night. I recently switched from eating Tillamook yogurt to Chobani. I “ate locally” for long time but I wanted to ditch some of that sugar.
This week’s Shot of the Week comes from Ben Warren courtesy of Octopus Manufacturing, home of the Goat Ramp. (Stands for Goes On A Trailer.) It’s a kick flip by Tony Besabe in the heart of Stuart, Florida. if Stuart could talk, what would he say?
Not because it’s breaking news, but because I keep getting tips out the wazoo. It’s popular demand. I love these videos, one of the few where the soundscape is an important part of the video, an equal with the and the skating instead of just filling the run time with some rad skating. It’s a sequence with Gou Miyagi (2009 SLAP interview) from Daisuke Takahashi’s “Subspecies.” A little bit parkour heavy, but still good fun, no matter what Carl says.
It’s a little early to be constantly bitching about the crappy weather this time of year, but here’s a nice warm fuzzy video montage to remind you drier/warmer days, shot in and around Portland. It’s not a Chicago winter, but it still gets us down.
Checkout this video from Tom Bender featuring a summer’s worth of skating in Portland, Oregon with nary an old man in sight! Go on a PDX bender after the jump. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)
- talentlessquitter : ...except in dutch it's with a 'j'. (That's what you get for trying to post smart comments in the wee hours of the night) Briljant, David!
- talentlessquitter : Bril(l)iant!
- kilwag : Is that an "Action Now" reference?
- Bozo Texino : No doubt! This one's stuck in my head. I love it.
- skaterdave : Isn't this sort of a *girl on horse jumping over rocks photo* moment for CW?
- skaterdave : It's all the "same" until you can't jump down stairs anymore because it hurts too much...
- Actual Fitz : That's what I'm saying, MC! Great comic!
- Jesus Sepulveda's Dear Old Mum : Just say no to specialization and standardization.
- ssk : Wars, drones, global warming, economic turmoil, rioting... and now THIS! Nobody ever listens to Nostradamus! You're ruining it CW! A thousand kids just hung up...
- Rich : Recursive as well.
- Betsy : I saw this great t-shirt at the Van's Pool party contest a couple of weeks ago: "Don't Be a Racist- Skate Everything" During that same weekend,...
- zeno01 : I keep some fabreeze in my car to spray my pads with. Should I write an article for the site?
- SimonWoodstock : gnar.
- Willis KImbel's Dear Old Mum : Willis, I'm so torn between being very impressed and very scared for you. Put on a helmet and call me! Mom
- spurr : Now ,when we say longboarding I assume we are talking about downhill . I could see the correlation between downhill and long term relationships ...
- conahan : Does huffing your pads count?
- wall eyed glue huffer : that makes a alot of sense, i dont personally know u, but viacom life seems annoying as fuck
- wall eyed glue huffer : christian Dior "farenheight" scent gives me a rabid pitbull reaction...
- BoBo : ^ what he said ^ Geeze that's sick
- wall eyed glue huffer : concrete wave is owned by tail tap/buddy carr, in the event u tried to buy something off them they charge ur account and give u...
- Billy Bones : *palm to face*
- kilwag : Redundant!
- MC : holy balls!
- K.C. : I wish it was the same board, it is close though. The Zeke didn't have cut outs and it had a wide square tail. I...
- Michael : Maybe the ones that have a surplus of money. I got rid of all of my old skate magazines(except for Concussion) when I moved to...
- orezona : This just proves that all skateboarders are sluts.
- Godsdj1 : I have the 1sst Megamouth tape in MP3s if you want it. email me and let me know! email@example.com
- SimonWoodstock : Ha! Didn't know Kilwag posted this. There was an impromptu vert wall contest that day and I was trying for backside wheelers but not even...
- Caspa : It's "KIDS". "Damn, you knocked up yo"!
- wes : neat
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business