Sometimes it´s really weird what kinda artists recorded songs about skateboarding or let´s say at least with a connection to skateboarding.
To keep the discussion “What is Skate Rock?” alive, we now have some obscure vinyl from Sweden for you. At first I thought someone just put a late 70´s / early 80´s photo of a skateboarder on the front cover to gain a bit more attention.
Sick of documentaries about skateboarding and/or punk? I don’t care. You must watch this feature on the legendary Big Boys. Don’t worry, it’s only 10 minutes and 33 seconds long. Some early Big Boys records are being rereleased on vinyl this year, and Conspiracy is going to do a limited run of a Big Boys deck. The first true Skate Rock band? Let’s argue about it.
If you would ask me, what is the best-known song out of Germany with a connection to skateboarding, I´d say “My god rides a skateboard” by the hardcore/punk band Spermbirds from Kaiserslautern.
Konstantin Butz is probably the first person ever who tried to analyze the phenomenon skate punk from an academic point of view. He wrote his doctoral thesis about it, which – in a slightly revised version – became this book, entitled Grinding California (transcript Verlag 2012).
Nardwuar the Human Serviette, recently posted part 2 of the The History of Skate Rock. I haven’t listened to it yet but the tipster says it’s more on target this time, and does include some talk about eBay action. The show isn’t archived on the offical Nardwuar site, but instead on WFMU.org.
- Thanks to Dale Pidlisny for the tip.
Ray Stevens II of The Faction, Los Olvidados, Drunk Injuns, Odd Man Out, and Clay Wheels fame has a new band called RS2 SOLID SOUND. They have recently completed the soundtrack to the movie SUPERCHARGED: The life and times of Tim Brauch. One of the stops on their Northwest tour is the movie premiere in Missoula, Montana on the 30th of July. Coincidence would have it that I’m sitting in the Montana night air (sweating)as I’m typing this. I’ve been staying an hour north of Missoula for the past week, and will be leaving two days before then. I will be back in time for the Portland show (with Stinkbug) at PLAN B in Portland on Thursday the 29th. That’s just rock and roll in Portland, there will be no showing of Supercharged at that time. I’m not sure if Supercharged is the project formerly known as Beans or not. Portland flyer after the jump.
- Actual Fitz : What is this bullshit? Will these spammers please fuck off? I'd prefer arguing to this junk.
- Actual Fitz : That's what I'm saying, MC! Great comic!
- Jesus Sepulveda's Dear Old Mum : Just say no to specialization and standardization.
- ssk : Wars, drones, global warming, economic turmoil, rioting... and now THIS! Nobody ever listens to Nostradamus! You're ruining it CW! A thousand kids just hung up...
- Arlen Micucci : Possessing a classy leather jacket has become a symbol of status amongst the teenagers. You have plenty of choices in choosing these jackets and blazers....
- Rich : Recursive as well.
- Brett Joynson : Possessing a classy leather jacket has become a symbol of status amongst the teenagers. You have plenty of choices in choosing these jackets and blazers....
- Betsy : I saw this great t-shirt at the Van's Pool party contest a couple of weeks ago: "Don't Be a Racist- Skate Everything" During that same weekend,...
- zeno01 : I keep some fabreeze in my car to spray my pads with. Should I write an article for the site?
- SimonWoodstock : gnar.
- Willis KImbel's Dear Old Mum : Willis, I'm so torn between being very impressed and very scared for you. Put on a helmet and call me! Mom
- spurr : Now ,when we say longboarding I assume we are talking about downhill . I could see the correlation between downhill and long term relationships ...
- conahan : Does huffing your pads count?
- wall eyed glue huffer : that makes a alot of sense, i dont personally know u, but viacom life seems annoying as fuck
- wall eyed glue huffer : christian Dior "farenheight" scent gives me a rabid pitbull reaction...
- BoBo : ^ what he said ^ Geeze that's sick
- wall eyed glue huffer : concrete wave is owned by tail tap/buddy carr, in the event u tried to buy something off them they charge ur account and give u...
- Billy Bones : *palm to face*
- kilwag : Redundant!
- MC : holy balls!
- K.C. : I wish it was the same board, it is close though. The Zeke didn't have cut outs and it had a wide square tail. I...
- Michael : Maybe the ones that have a surplus of money. I got rid of all of my old skate magazines(except for Concussion) when I moved to...
- orezona : This just proves that all skateboarders are sluts.
- Godsdj1 : I have the 1sst Megamouth tape in MP3s if you want it. email me and let me know! email@example.com
- SimonWoodstock : Ha! Didn't know Kilwag posted this. There was an impromptu vert wall contest that day and I was trying for backside wheelers but not even...
- Caspa : It's "KIDS". "Damn, you knocked up yo"!
- wes : neat
- kilwag : KC - is it the one in this post? LINK? I'm dying to find one of these too.
- wall eyed glue huffer : pelt me w/ eggs if u want but how come he didnt get an mtv spot on that jackass crud, he was the life of...
- K.C. : I agree with Killwag. I'm still looking for the elusive 6 wheeled (1 truck up front and 2 trucks in the back) Sun California "Zeke"...
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business