Skateboard as illustration for an article about collectors in the April issue of Art & Antiques (For Collectors of the Fine and Decorative Arts). “eclectic collectors are everywhere, but what distinguishes a so-called serious collector from a mere gatherer with unusual tastes?” Hmm. I must fall somewhere in the middle. I would collect everything skateboard related were it not for the limited capacities of my bank account, storage space, and patience that my wife possess. I can’t figure out hot write that last sentence properly. Let me break it down for you. I don’t have enough money or space to collect everything I want, and even if I did, my better half already thinks I have a problem. Is being a completist mutually exclusive with being a curator? I’m just trying to compile the Encyclopedia Galactica of annoying skateboarding memorabilia.
I haven’t actually held a copy of teh Neiman Marcus publication known as The Book, but near as I can tell it’s like a fashion magazine masquerading as a very fancy catalog that you can’t actually order anything from. Walter Chin is the photographer, but he’s not Walter Chin, the wedding photographer. Register those domain names early kids. As much as I tend be annoyed by gratuitous skateboards in fashion photography, I actually really like this as a photograph. It transcends the norm for this kind of thing. Chin’s photos are in the March, 2013 edition of The Book. I have no idea how you actually get a copy, but you can view it online here, page 58.
- Thanks to our recent fashion correspondent Seth Levy for the tip.
Hot Dog Magazine’s premier issue features Mork and Mindy on the cover. Although published by Scholastic in 1979, the skateboard that Pam Dawber is riding looks like mid 70′s to me. It’s almost like they put a wider board on those tiny trucks to help her stay on. Issue #1 doesn’t have hide nor hair of a skateboard within the meager 24 pages, although the issue I procured didn’t have the “Free Poster Inside,” so maybe it was a larger or alternate version of the cover. Can anyone confirm? I remember Hot DOg as a kid, but I don’t think it was ever a serious contender for the 800 pound gorilla of pre-teen magazines, Dynamite.
Vogue Magazine has a spread on “model turned photographer” Hanneli Mustaparta’s “Skater Style” which isn’t really coming across in these photos, or maybe I don’t know what skater style is. These are Hanneli’s photos and/or photos of Hannah.
Although her style doesn’t typically skew toward the disheveled, urban uniform of most New York City skateboarders, Hanneli Mustaparta puts her obsession with the pastime down to growing up in Norway where the sport was once illegal. “That made it mysterious and cool,” she recalls. It would be more than a little farfetched to call her polished threads rebellious, but the type of clean, modern apparel that she’s documented wearing on street-style blogs certainly make for a more unexpected approach to dressing for sidewalk surfing. “I got my first longboard back in 2008,” says Mustaparta, who uses it to glide from A to B.
The article has a list of other model types or fashionistas who use a skateboard for transportation.
- Thanks to Jspp for the tip.
Dynamite Magazine Volume 2, Number 9 has some a slight skateboard running through it. The cover story is on Kristy McNichols’s and Leif Garrett’s onscreen breakup in the TV show “Family.” It mentions Leif’s appearance in Skateboard: the Movie. There’s a groovy 3D pull out poster inside and a small cartoon with a skateboard in the “Bummers” section. Dynamite Magazine #58 was published in 1979.
No. And neither does this kid. Check out Scholastic News Volume 69, #3. Click through to watch the video to watch an unintentionally funny video.
- Thanks to Avery for the tip.
Bones Brigade coverage in the October issue of Rolling Stone. Maybe it’s November, magazines always seem to come a month ahead of schedule. Adele is on the cover. That’s a new photo of an old photo, both by Bryce Kanights.
- Thanks to Matthijs for the tip.
Closeup of a Mountain Dew ad circa 2001. Essentially a retread of the Nike’s “What if we treated all athletes…” campaign from 1997. Good idea, but still clumsy. “We can dream, can’t we?” No we can’t, because there is no “we” that you are implying. i’m not buying it for a second, (now third) pun. Slightly larger after the jump. I need the $16 it would cost, so it’s courtesy of photoshop.
- evtemizliksirketleri.biz : Temizlik ?irketleri,temizlik ?irketi,Avc?lar,Sefaköy,Güngören,Bayrampa?a,Be?ikta?,Gaziosmanpa?a,Bahçelievler,?irinevler,Ba?ak?ehir,Bahçe?ehir,Güne?li,Maslak,Sar?yer,Ba?c?lar,Sar?yer,Levent,?i?li,?kitelli,Beylikdüzü,Küçükçekmece,Eyüp,Ka??thane,Halkal?,?kitelli,
- Bozo Texino : It's acceptable because your art isn't amazing just because you made it, and to belive so is arrogant. Learn to accept some criticism--it improves your...
- Other Grover : NAH GROVER
- Other Grover : Very lame park. Bad flow and all around shit park. Evergreen ya blew it with this one. My opinion, my spew, suck it shit holes
- Jerry Dammers : I won't comment, on a site like this. All the girls on Friday T&A are sluts, and Neil's beer tastes just like piss.
- Peter Parker : Paralyze this: How are the lil bastards ever gonna get it sorted if they're being taught that a "U" shaped ramp is a half-pipe...
- freezine : When the unconventional host conventions!
- Chris J : I have one in Nottingham UK I'm looking to sell. Its in good condition and i'm planning sell on ebay. I'll stick the link on...
- kilwag : One of my favorites. Didn't see this coming. Modern coping trends and Sizing your death box... love it.
- Craig : Hey. Please have Oldfartsk8r contact me. I want to see if he has a better scan than I do of the Solid Surf flier. Urgent....
- Bevilacqua : cave canem. Is it a BDS ?
- Bevilacqua : hilarious - but I wouldn't recommend it for immature readers.
- David ODK : Found it in Oostduinkerke.
- David ODK : Haha! Thanks for the tip, but it's just grass ...
- MC : Cool diagram, he forgot "photoshop out stray pubic hairs."
- talentlessquitter : "...in an old toy store in Belgium..." WHAT!?! Haha, too bad I didn't score this one. Great looking board.
- spurr : I enjoy kilwags barbecue ,neils beer is always cold and mcs burgers are tasty and free . I thank you for sharing your...
- houseofneil : I agree MC. here's the way I like to look at it. Kilwag has organized a free bbq. MC and I provide some of the...
- SimonWoodstock : Spotters fee $50
- MR. X : Awesome!
- Jake(and annoy) : You Blockhead!
- Grover : SiR you can buY The cake and then return it sir if it is not to your liking sir.Sir I do not BELIEVE YOU ARE...
- francisco : I un-purposefully scrolled down just enough to cut off the top of the F...I read "Champions of racial hair" and quickly scrolled back up to...
- Heath : Just to point out the obvious, the comic is called "Hopeless Old Men On Skateboards." Regardless of opinions of content, the title states the...
- septik kilt : fuck my life
- Bozo Texino : Without critical thinking, there is no art. Without art, there is no critical thinking.
- Fitz : I do recall that. Hilarious and sad, all at once.
- Fitz : Another excellent point. I try to remember not to post it if I won't say it to somebody directly. I may be an exception in...
- talentlessquitter : Hahaha, seriously? Well, in all fairness, you opened the package of a food-item.
- jkp : I could see Ray doing this anyway. Always liked that guy.
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business