It´s about one year ago now that I finished my book about what I dare to call Vintage Skaterock and a few weeks ago I discovered the first record I missed out in the book (thanks to Hampuz for the tip!). I am talking about a crazy skateboard tune out of Sweden by a band named FLORIDA FUN. There’s more…
Sometimes it´s really weird what kinda artists recorded songs about skateboarding or let´s say at least with a connection to skateboarding.
To keep the discussion “What is Skate Rock?” alive, we now have some obscure vinyl from Sweden for you. At first I thought someone just put a late 70´s / early 80´s photo of a skateboarder on the front cover to gain a bit more attention.
If you would ask me, what is the best-known song out of Germany with a connection to skateboarding, I´d say “My god rides a skateboard” by the hardcore/punk band Spermbirds from Kaiserslautern.
Konstantin Butz is probably the first person ever who tried to analyze the phenomenon skate punk from an academic point of view. He wrote his doctoral thesis about it, which – in a slightly revised version – became this book, entitled Grinding California (transcript Verlag 2012).
Gang Green out of Boston have been around since 1982, skating, rocking and drinking, splitting up and reuniting again many times. They have a new album in progress that was once announced for the year 2007! Last year saw a little teaser, a 7” single with the songs “I fear” and “The other place”.
The German pressing of this rare 70´s skatesploitation record was already shown on SNA some time ago. I knew that there also was a French pressing on Polydor Records (1997, cat.nr. 2056 743) with a different cover.
HOT LUNCH from San Francisco is one of the hottest Skaterock bands around at the moment. Their label describes them as “heavy, hard-driving punk ‘n’ roll” and I have nothing to add there. If you like heavy rock from the 70s and Skaterock from the 80s, I am pretty sure you will love HOT LUNCH.
- kilwag : One of my favorites. Didn't see this coming. Modern coping trends and Sizing your death box... love it.
- Craig : Hey. Please have Oldfartsk8r contact me. I want to see if he has a better scan than I do of the Solid Surf flier. Urgent....
- Bevilacqua : cave canem. Is it a BDS ?
- Bevilacqua : hilarious - but I wouldn't recommend it for immature readers.
- David ODK : Found it in Oostduinkerke.
- David ODK : Haha! Thanks for the tip, but it's just grass ...
- MC : Cool diagram, he forgot "photoshop out stray pubic hairs."
- talentlessquitter : "...in an old toy store in Belgium..." WHAT!?! Haha, too bad I didn't score this one. Great looking board.
- spurr : I enjoy kilwags barbecue ,neils beer is always cold and mcs burgers are tasty and free . I thank you for sharing your...
- houseofneil : I agree MC. here's the way I like to look at it. Kilwag has organized a free bbq. MC and I provide some of the...
- SimonWoodstock : Spotters fee $50
- MR. X : Awesome!
- Jake(and annoy) : You Blockhead!
- Grover : SiR you can buY The cake and then return it sir if it is not to your liking sir.Sir I do not BELIEVE YOU ARE...
- francisco : I un-purposefully scrolled down just enough to cut off the top of the F...I read "Champions of racial hair" and quickly scrolled back up to...
- Heath : Just to point out the obvious, the comic is called "Hopeless Old Men On Skateboards." Regardless of opinions of content, the title states the...
- septik kilt : fuck my life
- Bozo Texino : Without critical thinking, there is no art. Without art, there is no critical thinking.
- Fitz : I do recall that. Hilarious and sad, all at once.
- Fitz : Another excellent point. I try to remember not to post it if I won't say it to somebody directly. I may be an exception in...
- talentlessquitter : Hahaha, seriously? Well, in all fairness, you opened the package of a food-item.
- jkp : I could see Ray doing this anyway. Always liked that guy.
- conahan : I think it's internet forums. Why is that? Most people are decent enough in person.
- ShawnF : Damn skip out reading the comments for a day or so and look at what I missed. Too bad someone did not try to...
- Gavin : Keep pre-cast out of everywhere! I have an open invitation to anyone considering building anything but a skatepark built by craftsman who actually skate to...
- houseofneil : so you're the content editor? Who gave you that job? Yes, you could give your opinion, (running the risk of MC just saying "fuck it"...
- Betsy : Extremely interesting article—thanks Randy. I recently went to a session on the possibility of skating in the Olympics. It touched upon the same things that...
- Fitz : I'm nomninating Francisco for the win! You're right on with that observation.
- Matt Reevy : Hey kilwag, glad you read the article and dug it enough to repost!
- wes : agreed.
Categories and Archives
Fancy Tag Cloud
Search and Annoy
Does not search features or galleries... yet.
I'm coding on a live site! Wheee! Please ignore any nonsense for the time being
This is none of your business